Saturday, July 9, 2011

What I'm willing to do.

One of the first things I've done in my quest for a life is to begin reading books and blogs and pamphlets, if I find them, on a variety of themes relating to happiness.  Keeping in mind something a therapist once told me that "happiness is a transient condition," I'm not trying to become something I'm not, one of those truly, amazingly upbeat people, but just augment my ability to create a more positive outlook.  So obviously, I began with Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project.  Bought it on a glorious day in the early spring, picked up some lovely macaroons and iced tea and spent a morning in the park reading.  Great way to begin, let me tell you.   Good read full of nice ways to start paying attention to how you're living your life on a day to day basis.  And after a lot more reading on the subject (see links), I am firmly committed to the idea that it is in fact how the day to day things get accomplished that get you to a deep fulfilling life.  

What I plan on doing in the next several days is creating a list a'la Gretchen on my absolute truths, 12 commandments, whatever you want to name them.  I am calling them my "What I'm willing to do" items.  These will be the things I am "willing to do" to build a life that helps me to thrive and live as deeply as I can for as long as I can.